[plug] Debian type question

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Fri Sep 13 11:43:44 WST 2002

Little bit more information needed before I comment:-
    Are you using an internal modem or external?
    Are you sure the serial port works.
    Have you install the ThinkPad kernel modules and corresponding software?

    When I first got my ThinkPad 600E the serial port was faulty. However, I
managed to find a guide on the internet describing how to get the serial working
along side the IR port. Unfortunately I've lost the link, but google or similar
should be able to turn it up.
    To test your serial port, put a null modem between your laptop and another
computer and see if you can send and receive stuff.

    As far as the internal modem goes, my understanding is that most of the
modems supplied by IBM are not supported under linux. However, I haven't
followed up on this so I may be wrong.

Regards,
Adrian Woodley
Diskworld Computer & IT