[plug] Mail - i don't what subject should go here

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Sep 15 22:49:11 WST 2002

Jeff Williams wrote:
> Can't you use scp? Or tunnel some other form of file transfer method
> over ssh? Processing emails is not going to be a fun thing to do.

If you can't, try looking at CPAN for MIME modules etc for perl. There
may well already be a module that'll happily separate body text, any
attachments, etc, from a message. Of course, you have to get it from the
mail spool to your program. That should be possibly by parsing the
/var/spool/mail/<username> file - possibly with the assistance of more
friendly perl modules - and just grabbing messages with a certain [tag]
in the Subject: line.

I don't envy you this task. scp would definitely be better! BTW SSH and
scp work a treat under win32 via cygwin (if you want real openssh) or
using a client like putty otherwise. So windows shouldn't be a problem.
It even has cron... kinda. Calls it "at" but you can still schedule jobs
with it.

I'm having to use win2k for 'net access at the moment, hence all the
windows comments. I create an ssh tunnel to work, forwarding ports for
SMTP and IMAP, so I can get my mail :-) all from win2k using Cygwin.
Hell, I can even use the same mail client (mutt remotely, or Mozilla
locally).

'luck
Craig Ringer