[plug] Re: Belkin KVM + wheel mouse + XF86 problem

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Sep 17 06:52:10 WST 2002

Bill Hayden wrote:
> Did you ever find a solution to your Belkin KVM + wheel mouse + XF86
> problem, where the mouse goes crazy if it's set to IMPS/2 and you switch
> the KVM?  I'm in the same boat.

Yeah. An incredibly long and painful battle with Belkin. Eventually they
sent me a Belkin mouse, and with that at least the middle mouse button
worked(it never had before). Eventually they sent me a new KVM (same
model) which works... mostly. Wheel still won't work, but I just don't
care enough to fight them any more. Its not worth it, I have better
things to do. I had 2 people go away on leave w/o notice, forcing me to
re-open contact with Belkin. Eventually I got the sysadmin in Australia,
who had a brain (wow!) and eventually (eg months) got me sent the new KVM.

Don't buy Belkin. That seems to be the only real fix.

It does appear that my KVM may have been faulty. Nonetheless, even with
a new one, I can only use _basic_ PS/2 drivers on any connected OS - so
using IMPS/2 in XF86Config-4 results in the mouse going totally haywire.
It also seems that misconfiguration on _any_ OS will scramble the KVM
such that problems appear to ocurr with it even after switching to
another system - and possibly after rebooting all of them if the KVM
isn't power cycled. Pathetic. The KVM should work for 3 buttons if all
OSs use their native PS/2 support and that's it. Don't even try for the
wheel.

If you manage to find a real fix to this, _please_ email me - but I
don't see it happening. In the mean time, just use "PS/2" only.

CC'd to the local LUG so this gets indexed by google etc.

Craig Ringer