[plug] [hardware] PC assembly - fried Duron?

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Tue Sep 17 17:11:19 WST 2002

Leon Brooks wrote:

>I installed an Athlon 1800 recently, and getting the heatsink on that was a
>real... fatherless individual... because it was very close to the PSU and
>required use of unreasonable force. However, after putting roughly half my
>weight on a screwdriver to latch down the second end of the heatsink clip at
>the bottom of a very narrow gap between heatsink and PSU (oh, my aching
>motherboard!), I was reasonably sure that the chip had solid detent against
>the heatsink - either that or the aluminium heatsink had deformed to
>accomodate the Arnie Schwarzenegger of clips. Either way, the Athlon runs at
>about 35degC and about Warp Factor 10.
>
>Cheers; Leon

Depends on the heatsink really, GlobalWINs in my experience have the
most annoying clips I've come across for Athlons.  The two piece clips
on some of them can tend to break under the pressure required to put
them on and they are just plain annoying.

Personally I've found the 3 prong clips on the larger heatsinks (such as
some of the Thermalright ones) are fairly easy to put on (space provided
of course) with your fingers, even though they are still a strong clip.

/ Ben