[plug] Debian - how many partitions?

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Tue Sep 17 17:34:54 WST 2002

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 15:48, James Elliott wrote:

> So, my main question is .... if you have a pretty big disk, what is better:
>
> 1.  one or two big partitions with lots of directories & subdirectories?
> or
> 2.  one partition for each major part of the Linux tree?

I usually KISS for workstations:

A swap partition (500M-1G)
A Linux System (2G)
A Windows System (2G optional ^_^)
An extended, which, depending on size and use, I may have as one big data
drive, or 1/2 Linux data, 1/2 shareable vfat data

IMHO, splitting disks up into too many partitions causes more problems than it
solves (more chance of one of them filling up).

For important servers, there's more reason to split things, but I still don't
often do it based on the top level Linux heirarchy. eg; keep things like
logs, user data, DB core on separate partitions. Nothing worse than a corrupt
DB because its files were on the same partition as a runaway log file. ^_^

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |