[plug] Debian - how many partitions?

Lyndon Kroker ljkroker at netvigator.com
Wed Sep 18 20:07:36 WST 2002

Hi James,

If I have a relatively large hard disk I occasionally like to leave a small
portion of the disk unused.  For example, I was installing Debian on a 60 gig
drive recently and I left 2 gigs of space unused.  That way I had the option
of playing around with all sorts of interesting stuff (vmware, other
filesystems, journaling, and other nifty things).  The remaining 58 GB were
more than sufficent for my purposes.

If you really want to use more that just two partitions, the /home partition
is a great one to have separated on a personal workstation.  When I was
playing around installing every flavour of Linux I could get my hands on, I
just re-installed into my /swap and /root partitions and all the files in the
/home directory were unaffected.  It's kind of a nice way to start "playing
with partitions".

Have fun,

Lyndon