[plug] When apt-get just wont apt-get

Niffum niffum at touch88.com.au
Thu Sep 19 09:46:20 WST 2002

apt-get can be a bastered.. try apt-get remove and remove that package...
then install version 3.. then install version 4.. if it wont let you do
anything, try playing with dpkg to remove and force install of package..
eventually something happens

At 10:07 AM 2/08/2030 +0800, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Recently i decided to install ximian evolution to see if i could get my
>life semi-organised which it has now allowed me to do but has since left
>me with a nagging apt-get problem.
>
>When i did apt-get install evolution all the appropriate packages were
>installed bar one .. libpisock3.
>
>The error i get is
>
>dpkg: error processing
>/var/cache/apt/archives/libpisock3_0.9.5-0pre3-ximian.1_i386.deb
>(--unpack):
>trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libpisock.la', which is also in package
>libpisock4.
>
>So i have libpisock4 installed even tho ximian is trying to get me to
>install libpisock3 but now i am unable to apt-get anything else because
>it keeps insisting that i install libpisock3. Evolution works fine so
>what i would like to know is how can i flush apt-get so that it wont
>keep asking me to install this package?
>
>thanks.
>
>.Chris

- Niffum (niffum at touch88 dot comdot au)
http://<<spam>>/<<Jihad on spam>>/<<WAR>>

"Junk mail is war. RFCs do not apply." - Wietse Venema, author of Postfix