[plug] USB modem

Sol sol at terminus.net.au
Fri Sep 20 11:00:45 WST 2002

Had an experience of setting up Mandrake 8.2 on an IBM thinkpad a few
weeks back. Every thing worked fine except of course, the internal
modem. Having a USB modem handy I tried it out. The device was there
but it didn't work. The trick - especially when it comes to setting up
the internel dialer; either kppp or gnome dialer - is to create a
symlink between /dev/modem and /dev/usb/ttyACM0. NOTE: I'm not on a
linux box right now as I'm at uni so I'm going by memory. Plus I was
working with Mandrake, it may be different with RH, I don't know. Also,
it might not be ttyACM0 but ttyACM1 or another number depending on how
many USB port there are and which is being used.
Do ls -l /dev/usb to see which devices have been detected. Then ls -
l/dev/modem to check that it's there. Usually it is, and usually it is
a symlink to something like /dev/ttyS0. If it is then rm /dev/modem
(there may be another way of doing this, but this is what I did) and
then mknod /dev/modem. Then ln -s /dev/modem /dev/usb/ttyACM0 (or
whatever the usb device is). After that you should have no trouble
using the GUI dialer (kppp or gnome dialer) to autodetect the modem and
set up the ISP details etc.

Hope this helps  :-)
sol