[plug] Partitioning Hard Disk

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Sep 25 18:40:41 WST 2002

> Also, do you have 1GB of RAM in that machine? If not, a general rule of thumb
> is to size the swap partition according to the amount of RAM you intend
> having in the machine.

Well, _at_ _least_ the amount of RAM you _plan_ to put in the machine.
Makes life lots easier later. Current linux kernels are happy with swap
< RAM but at various stages in the past (early 2.4 anybody?) this has
not been the case. Anyway, its hard to have too much swap (especially if
you use a tmpfs /tmp and such, like I do).

A gigabyte is probably overkill for a desktop system - but I do like to
have at least a gig of swap on my servers, and have used it up entirely
several times. Then again you can always create temporary swap _files_
on normal partitions if you're going to do something awful to your
system (in my case, run a complex montage(1) command from ImageMagick on
500mb of TIFFs).

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)