[plug] Modem souper survey

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Sep 27 11:16:57 WST 2002

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Harry McNally wrote:

> PLUGers
>
> Computer Angels need to understand what modems (internal and external) will work
> happily with Linux.
>
> Would PLUGers using modems please mail me _offlist_ with:
>
> Manufacturer, Model, and if only six months or so old, Supplier and Approx Price

Any netcomm modem will be good External are better.
	(You can get a Netcomm iModem for $99 at office works.  You might
	 get some kind of dealers deal if you talk to netcom direct (they're
	 Aussie).
Any USR modem will (also) be good see above note about external-ness

> A link to the manufacturer would be helpful but only if it's "off top of head".
>
> We can't use WinModems on the lighter boxes we supply so no need to reply if you
> have one of those.

Dynalink > 14400 suck the big rotten egg
Banskisa < 33600 Also suck said egg

> A note like "It sort of works but sucks a bit / a lot because .." would be
> insightful.
> Thanks very much
> Harry

I might have a box of 5 very nice external 33.6 modems that I can include in
the next CanningCollege -> CA run.

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!