[plug] USB Device Troubles

ryan at is.as.geeky.as ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Fri Sep 27 19:53:40 WST 2002

Howdy,

My machine was working fine today with USB keyboards, mouse and even cameras.

Then I plugged a Nokia 5110 into it to try and get the Mass Storage stuff working.  All I did was load and unload modules and try to mount the device - NOTHING else.  I got some partial success but eventually the mounting process went zombie as the USB requests timed out.

I cold booted and now no USB devices exist.  They all detect and log perfectly as they used to, but the devices such as /dev/input/mice are no longer recognised by X and /proc/bus/usb/ is empty - which is normally quite verbose.  I've remove and re-created the mice device using mknod as per the usual instructions and there is no change.  Everything lights up and logs but nothing actually works.

Previously to this when using modules loading usb-uhci would be enough to get the kernel to pull in all the other modules and correctly identify my mouse, now it required me to manually load the usbmouse in order for it to identify the mouse ...  and once identifies it doesn't work anyway as just described.

Any ideas?

Ryan