[plug] Re: Wars with Browser

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Apr 1 00:17:30 WST 2003

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 11:49:08PM +0800, Arie Hol wrote:
> >>Funny thing is I get the feeling that something in their scripts tests
> >>what browser the client is using and dumps them if they are using Linux.

> As you can  see, some of them contain a great deal of information, so the
> webservers don't need to test the browser - because the browser sends the
> info anyway, but there are valid reasons for this.

A lot of what I see nowadays is all purely JavaScript. So, getting
pedantic, it's not the webserver as such but the content which is
fussy. Try typing "javascript:alert(navigator.userAgent)" into
random browsers for kicks :)

Though I can't for the life of me figure out why the ingram one
won't agree with mozilla. It uses all sorts of wacky javascript to
authenticate you and give you a cookie - I'm almost certain there
are easier and more reliable ways! *shrug*

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham
 bernard at blackham dot com dot au