[plug] DMA pricelist downloads (browser wars)

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Tue Apr 1 10:09:36 WST 2003

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 08:37:51AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On top of this, Konqueror was told that it was illegally referred to
> the page and to please arrive from DMA's website! This happened
> regardless of what I told Konq to call itself for the occasion.

Some versions of Konqueror have been known to issure strange Referer
headers, and some annoying proxies like to play with or even remove them.

> I captured the headers Mozilla was sending, altered the User-Agent
> string to say that it was Exploder, and got back a redirect. I can
> wget that redirect (on the same webserver) from anywhere in the world
> and it works. So much for security by obscurity...

Although you can get Mozilla to issue different User-Agent headers by
playing with its config, the easiest way for most users is with PrefBar:

www.xulplanet.com/downloads/prefbar/

--
 Leon Blackwell                | Television - a medium. So called
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | because it is neither rare nor