TV cards, was Re: [plug] Mandrake 9.1

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Tue Apr 1 15:18:23 WST 2003

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Its a  saa7134-based card, and doesn't use the bttv driver that most

I must have just assumed it was a bttv, like the older FlyVideo models.
Thanks for the warning.

> The card also has one unexpectedly poor feature - it outputs sound via
> an external jack that must be plugged with a short lead into the sound
> card's line in socket. No system-visible DSP on the card.

Thats the normal way to use them. And its usually the best way. I havn't
been able to get the BT878 built-in A->D to work. I think its not
connected on the card, and the sound card probably does a much better job.
Also makes it easier to mix to the PC speakers. Not so good if you want TV
sound on separate speakers, or for recording.

> So... I'm definitely looking for a better card if I can find one at a
> reasonable price.

There are plenty of generic BT878 cards at under $100, but normally no A2
stereo reception.

--
Ask not for whom the telephone bell tolls...
if thou art in the bathtub, it tolls for thee.