[plug] Linux replacing terminal server

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Wed Apr 2 12:11:18 WST 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, quoth Bernd Felsche:

> I'd considered rlogin in pretty much the same vein. Problem is then
> password synch between "terminal server" and target host if the user
> moves around.

Why? just have getty run "rlogin -l $username" (via a script) instead of
running "login" locally - the local password file will never be consulted.

Eg I just added this to my inittab:
8:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty8 -l "/usr/local/bin/myrlogin"

and created a script called "myrlogin" which contains:
#!/bin/bash
echo $*
/usr/bin/rlogin -l "$2" live

and can log into tty8 using a username/password which only exists on
"live", not this machine.

 - Matt