[plug] Linux replacing terminal server

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 2 16:10:28 WST 2003

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 02:35:05PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> >Just wondering if there's a perversion of getty that would
> >automatically allow a Linux box to present its serial ports to dumb
> >terminals as though it were connecting straight through to another
> >host. i.e. to act like a dedidated terminal server.

> mgetty can do it, if I understand you correctly to be looking for a
> getty designed to listen on a serial port. For example, in /etc/inittab
> one might have:

I'm looking for one to "forward" a local serial port to either a
telnet, rlogin or ssh port on a remote machine.

> S0:345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -s 33600 -r /dev/ttyS0
> S1:345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -s 9600  -r /dev/ttyS1
>
> to have two mgettys listening, one on each serial port. Adjust settings
> as needed.

I've only been doing that sort of thing since 1985. :-)

> >getty typically collects a username and then passes that to a login
> >procedure as an argument... telnet won't accept that...
>
> Have you tried killing off getty entirely, and having /usr/bin/telnet
> sessions running automatically on a couple of ttys on the clients? Its
> ugly, but it might work. Never tried it myself, though.

When the remote host closes the telnet (e.g. after timeout with no
login), init will respawn. That's a PITA as it results in the screen
savers of dumb terminals being tickled all the time.

> Also, w.r.t to telnet not passing usernames, what's wrong with
> 	telnet -l $USERNAME $HOSTNAME

Process owner is root. ^] escape to shell - haven't tried telnets
with -e set to "nothing". That might work.

> ? Does the remote host ignore the default username sent by telnet like
> SCO does?

I'm guessing that it does ignore it. Not onsite right now so I can't
verify.