[plug] JFS pros, cons?

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Apr 3 16:36:56 WST 2003

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 02:39:04PM +0800, Denis Brown wrote:

| In PLUGgers' experience, is Reiser the way to go?   XFS?

I would be inclined to stay away from XFS.  It has a "known problem"
with recovering properly from power outages / crashes - it zeroes any
file which it can't guarantee to have perfectly correct data for, and
occasionally refuses to replay its journal after a crash.  Presumably on
a high availability server this is less likely to happen than on my
desktop, but on the other hand the consequences are likely to be worse.

My own experiences with ext3, as well as everything I've read about it,
seem to indicate that it's bloody reliable, if not the fastest thing
around.

The only time I've tried to use Reiser was on a machine with dodgy
hardware, so I can't really comment on its reliability, but it's
supposed to be very efficient, especially when you're storing lots
of small files, or lots of files in one directory.

CP.