[plug] JFS pros, cons?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 4 17:12:44 WST 2003

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 02:39:04PM +0800, Denis Brown wrote:
> I'm going through the motions of setting up what I hope will be a
> high availability Linux machine.   It will have a UPS, dual SCSI
> disks in RAID-1 and tape backups will be made daily (and tested!)
> And so it comes to the question of which file system to choose...

What? You don't rsync to a warm standby host over gigabit? :-)

> For example, is anyone using JFS and have comments to make
> regarding it?   I'm not so much fussed about data loss caused by

AFAICT, JFS is still a bit of an experiment.

> user errors -- the data will be backed up daily in any case so not
> a lot of value is likely to be lost to that mechanism.   What I am
> concerned about is data integrity issues that are system related.
> Is JFS sufficiently mature in its open form?  The commercial
> package seems to have been running fine on AIX for many years and
> I'm sure that IBM's customers would jump up and down if there were
> problems :-)

But they run on IBM tanks^W hardware!

If you need journaling, then Reiserfs is "more proven". ext3 is nicely
robust. Reiserfs has the performance advantage on loarge directories
and small files. ext3 works well on large files.

It's hard to find one filesystem that fits all requirements. I've
been looking for 20 years. :-)