[plug] Debian puzzle, very weird.

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Apr 7 21:38:57 WST 2003

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 07:35:58PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:

| I tried `apt-get --reinstall install libc6' and ditto for grep on Machine B,
| to no obvious effect (no better, no worse). Shutting all and sundry down and
| fsck'ing (-f) doesn't report any error.

Hrm.  Have you tried reinstalling coreutils or whatever `dpkg -S
/bin/sync` tells you they called it in woody?

Is it possible the kernel image could have been somehow corrupted on
disc, and things started going hideously wrong after a reboot?  Maybe
you upgraded the kernel, forgot to re-run lilo, and it's reading
gobbledegook of the drive?

(I'll admit to not having any real understanding of how the above could
have occurred, but hopefully throwing random thoughts into the air and
seeing whether they hit anything before they come down may lead to
eventual enlightenment[1].)

CP.

[1] Or KDE, if that's your thing.