[plug] Debian puzzle, very weird.

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Mon Apr 7 21:49:05 WST 2003

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 20:17:18 +0800 Leon Brooks <leon at brooks.fdns.net> wrote:

> On Monday 07 April 2003 20:09, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 07:35:58PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> >> We have two Debian machines in the one facility, both doing similar but
> >> not identical odd things. Both Celerons on identical mobos (900 &
> >> 1100MHz), same network cards, both 512MB of RAM. Both were recently
> >> updated, both running 2.4.18 kernel.
>
> > Updated to which distro?
>
>     apt-get update
>     apt-get upgrade

Obvious but a thought jogger: What does the sources.list file _really_ look
like ? Given the brokeness that has flowed into testing a little while back,
might there be some "not woody 3.0 stable" modules that have got in there
because sources.list isn't actually what you think it is ?

Can the upgrades get knotted up and be now incompletely upgraded ?

You said that the boxes do "similar" things but if the package list is
different, might this explain that they behave slightly differently because
they are uniquely broken given the different packages installed ?

If your update/upgrade was to pick up only the security debs, did they
do so without error ?

You know all this but I'm just asking questions so that when you start to
write a reply you get part way though and go "Ah ha" and later send the
real reply: "Harry was completely off the track. What it actually ended up
being was .. blah blah" :-)

Good luck with it
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://conf.linux.org.au/	22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/