[plug] using etags with emacs

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Tue Apr 8 11:28:15 WST 2003

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 10:58:49AM +0800, David Buddrige wrote:
> Has anyone used the etags command provided with emacs and knows how it
> works?  I've been messing around with the emacs version of the program
> on-and-off for a while now but haven't been able to make it do anything
> useful.

It works here.  I'd suggest reading the info for it ("C-h i" in emacs,
then go to the emacs node, and search for "tags") rather than the man
page, as the info is more likely to be up to date.  The way to invoke it
recursively is:

  find . -name "*.[chCH]" -print | etags -

The only other thing I can suggest is to ensure you are reading the
right tags table by doing

  M-x tags-reset-tags-tables

Then it'll ask you for the tags file name the next time you press "M-.".

Hmm, sorry this wasn't more help.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
"If you are afraid of loneliness, don't marry."
-- Chekhov