[plug] server failing with bizarre disk errors

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Apr 9 18:11:29 WST 2003

>> VIA KT400
>>
> No offense, but personally I wouldn't be building a server around that
> chipset at all.  Via chipsets recently have had IDE problems varying
> from performance issues to stability problems and sometimes even data
> corruption.

/very/ interesting. The previous one was VIA KT133A or something, and
showed vaguely similar problems.

> Is there any chance you could put an add-on IDE controller card into it
> and see if you get any different results?

S'pose anything is worth a try. Alas, the only one that comes to mind is
*shudder* Promise .

> Personally I'm not going to be buying another Via chipset for a long
> time, due to their inability to address the current issues, which seem
> to keep getting carried over to each new chipset.

Good to know. I'm going all-intel shortly anyway, because AMD seem to
refuse to make chipsets (AMD chipsets tending to be excellent) but
instead let VIA and SiS do it. I'm tired of messing about.

Craig