[plug] server failing with bizarre disk errors

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Thu Apr 10 07:52:54 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 10/04/2003 07:47 AM
-----

                      Craig Ringer
                      <craig at postnewspap        To:       plug at plug.linux.org.au
                      ers.com.au>               cc:
                                                Subject:  Re: [plug] server failing with bizarre disk errors
                      09/04/2003 05:23
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>> If you find out what it is, please let me know, all I can tell you is
that
>> unplugging and replugging the cables, and replacing them doesn't work.
(for
>> me anyway) Maybe moving to another IDE controller will help. I've been
>> having these insurmountable opportunities for close to 2 years - goes
away
>> for a while, and then strikes at full strength.

>Already tried a cable change.

>Out of interest, what chipset and hdds do /you/ use? Mine are all
>western digital JBs, an 80g and a 120g in this machine.

Old ATI chipset with a Celeron 400 from when it was the best thing any home
user could contemplate having. hda is 20GB Seagate, and hdb is a 13GB
"Bigfoot" - which I think was a WD drive. Problems appear to start on hdb,
except that my main distro (SuSE) resides there, and it (almost) never has
these problems. In fact checked the logs last night and there was nothing
for the past 2 weeks - even though it'd been on 90% of the time, running
SETI at home. (OK, not particularly disk intensive - but it didn't whine when
I did a few things before shutdown, and the "updatedb" jobs ran perfectly
every night.)

RichardM