[plug] Re: setnu mode in emacs

David Buddrige buddrige at wasp.net.au
Thu Apr 10 13:36:39 WST 2003

Derek Fountain writes:

> You can jump straight to a line: M-g

Yes, but I still need to know what line number it is to jump to.  At the
moment, I know the line number containing the cursor because the line-number
is displayed in the status bar.  But if I want to jump directly to a line
several lines down containing some construct, it is very hard to know what
line number it is.  Subsequently, I have to use cursor keys to move down,
rather than being able to jump directly to the line concerned.  If I have a
list of line numbers on the left-hand-side of the text, then I can see the
line number that I want to change to.  To see what I am talking about, open
a text file in vi and then run the command:

    :set nu

And you will see the line numbers displayed along the left margin.  This is
the effect I want to obtain in xemacs. 8-)

thanks guys

David.