[plug] re: ftp access

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Mon Apr 14 16:32:06 WST 2003

Do you still need /etc/ftponly or just the /bin/false?

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

>>> zombie at penguincare.com.au 4:00:00 PM 14/04/2003 >>>
On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, quoth Richard Henry:

> I don't believe ftp connections create a shell, so the shell entry in
> /etc/passwd should be irrelevant.  In fact I think setting a shell such as
> /bin/false in your passwd file is a quick way of giving a user ftp access
> but not shell access to a machine.

Traditonally, ftp servers will not give access to an account that does not
have a valid shell as specified in /etc/shells

so if you want to create an "ftp-only" account, set the shell to
/bin/false but make sure /bin/false is listed in /etc/shells

 - Matt