[plug] Mandrake Bankrupt?

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Tue Apr 15 10:19:11 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 15/04/2003 10:15 AM
-----

                      Mike Holland
                      <myk at plug.linux.o        To:       plug at plug.linux.org.au
                      rg.au>                   cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: [plug] Mandrake Bankrupt?
                      15/04/2003 10:08
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Daniel Pearson wrote:

>> Morning,
>> I remember hearing news that Mandrake was going, or had gone bankrupt..
is
>> that still relevant? The reason I ask this, is because i'm looking at

>Google is good.
>http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=mandrake+bankruptcy&btnG=Search+News

>yes they are broke / in protection / restructuring / insolvent.
>But that doesnt mean the name or product is going.
>the product is profitable, but not enough so to cover their stupidly
>(greedily?) aquired debts.

Problem appears to be that during the .com boom, they got a whole lot of
"clever" people on board who set them on an acquisition trail. With the
bust they were left with huge debts nad needless to say the "clever" people
all disappeared. They appear to be making more than they're spending, but
whether that can service their debts ....

Having said that - I really like Mdk - and use it.

RichardM