[plug] Getting linux running ona beige g3 mac

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Wed Apr 16 16:02:09 WST 2003

Quintin Lette wrote:

> Any hints on getting a mac 7200/120 to boot from anything but harddisk (ie
> floppy or cd) I intend to put debian on it as soon as I can.
>
> Bear with me, its my first ever experience with a mac, and I only got it
> yesterday afternoon. :) It has Mac OS 7.5.3 if that makes any difference.

Not a chance.. The only way to do it is with a MacOS init that will laod
the kernel and boot linux from there.
There is a great Mac PPC linux howto around somewhere.
Pretty much download the base files from the debian archive, put them in
a folder and run the bootloader. It will fire up the Mac PPC equivalent
of the boot floppy and you can do the rest from there. You will need to
leave a small MacOS partition to boot off though.
Leave OS 7.5.3 on it, that's what I'm using here also.

--
Brad....
  /"\