[plug] TCP connections refused

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Thu Apr 17 10:49:28 WST 2003

Ryan wrote:

> Anybody have any idea what it could be doing based on the basic info
> I've given?  It is a remote machine, and I can't connect to it any time
> soon to see what is going on.
>
> I'm guessing some dodgy RAM or something, has anyone seen this behaviour
> before and could put a different slant on it?  There are no IDS things
> running on it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ryan

I had a machine here do a similar thing where the kernel "died" with an
oops. This stopped ALL userland programs from running, and thus
accepting connections, but the in-kernel stuff like NAT and normal
routing continued along quite happily.

echo 30 > /proc/sys/kernel/panic
helps sometimes also, although when the kernel does panic, everything
stops anyway.

--
Brad....
  /"\