[plug] Mplayer runs wild

Russ Pitman rjp at belle.apana.org.au
Thu Apr 17 22:34:47 WST 2003

I reinstalled Mplayer today so I could see the LCA promo video on the the
CD, which  is a terrific product. Many thanks to all those concerned.

Followed John's instructions from Limagau.au, worked with only one tweak. It
needed to be told I run a console framebuffer and it was off.

The first time it was started from the command line in mc and the screen
loaded over mc logged as a user. It also starts fine from an xterm,but
in either case it overwrites every tty console and every gui app in the
system.

If it is started from the command line in a bare console it overwrites
all terminals and blanks out the gui totally until it exits.

Gmplayer can't see the dsp device so no sound as an X app.

I obviously have a lot to learn and yes the user has permission for the all
the necessary devices,and has read the docs even tho' he doesn't understand
much of them.

If this is an FAQ I do not remember seeing it the last time I looked and I
honestly dont recall it happening prior to me trashing the system including
the backup drive last week.

Any ideas are welcome.

--
Cheers,