[plug] LVM1 - opinions?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Apr 19 16:55:05 WST 2003

> A big plus for LVM is the ability to take a snapshot of the
> filesystem which can be backed up cleanly while the system runs
> about its normal activities. This with XFS makes a fantastic
> combination for servers IMHO :)

I'm not touching XFS, not for /quite/ some time yet. This is a SMP box,
and is hyperthreading capable (disabled right now but I'll probably need
to turn it on as the user count increases and the number of running
tasks climbs). I don't yet trust XFS for data I care about, and
certainly won't use it on a big business server. I'm sure the FS itsself
is very good, but the linux kernel integration is relatively new - I've
heard of quite a few problems.

It'll be ext3 or reiser.

Craig