[plug]

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Sun Apr 20 19:07:36 WST 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 18:48, Michael Bell wrote:
> caston at arach.net.au writes:
>
> > Thanks. I figured it would be better to try sid than Sarge.
>
> Now, why is that?  I have only heard of people getting ahead with sid,
> never with Sarge.  What have I missed about the quality of these
> non-stable distributions?  I'd have thought the first port of call for
> someone leaving "stable" would be "testing", not "unstable".

Well I really wanted to try out KDE 3 for myself being sick and tired of
all the problems in KDE 2.2.2

I often find that having old software makes the standard stable apt
sources less useful and I need to download .debs from the net for gaim
request-tracker2 and other packages.

The old software might be well known and well tested with most of the
bugs cleared up but if it doesn't have the features you want and simply
is not as good as the latest version then it's not much use.

At the moment I'm using lilo to choose between Woody and Sid. I'm using
Woody right now as I write this but only because I haven't migrated my
home directory and setup evolution, OO.o and gaim to sid yet.

I'm going also going to using the sid HD to test out some software and
i'll probably keep the Woody setup just in case I do have any trouble
with sid.

BTW we use Sarge on some of the desktops at HQ youth facility but I
think mostly it's Woody or Sarge with KDE3.2 apt sources.

As it was pointed out there are no security updates for Sarge so using
it could be risky business.

I'm not sure as I haven't been working on the desktops there recently.

regards,

Chris Caston