[plug] Mplayer runs wild

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Apr 20 16:18:46 WST 2003

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 04:02:51PM +0800, Russ Pitman wrote:

| I switched to a SbLive to check. It needs considerably more amplification
| than the onboard Cmedia

Yes.  My SB Live has the master and PCM volumes at ~95% and even then is
considerably quieter than my CD player or radio for a given position of
the amp's volume knob.

| which I guess grabs more system memory.

Eh?  I would imagine that most sound card drivers require comparable
amounts of system memory, although the CPU time required could well be
different.  (I noticed when upgrading from onboard sound to an SBLive
that the sound no longer went choppy when doing CPU or disc-intensive
stuff like, say, starting OpenOffice.)

Cameron.