[plug] Mplayer runs wild

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 22 22:45:10 WST 2003

I'll give an official opinion on this. ;)

The best setup for the average person and mplayer is a generic, nvidia
based, 32 meg card, using nvidia's official drivers ((framebuffer is
unnecessary and stupid, avoid at all costs, really), unless tainting the
'GPLness' of your system in which case I'd use an ATI card) with a SB Live!
as your sound card. It has support from everything, it sounds fine and will
do the job for all but the biggest and most serious audiophiles (plus it's
cheap).

Onboard sound is shocking, uses up a lot of system resources and quite often
doesn't have sequencer support. A genuine sound card is almost always a
better option, and a Live! is the easiest option available.

Make lunch, not war.