[plug] [OT] opinions: SCSI hard disks

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Thu Apr 24 16:54:51 WST 2003

Bernd Felsche wrote:

>What's the bottleneck?

Basically the machine is almost at storage capacity.  I could stick more
drives in it, but really its not a good option.  The machine was my
former desktop machine here (Athlon 600, 256Mb of RAM).  The other
issues are that there is no decent removeable storage for it.  I mean we
have filled up around 80Gb of storage space and as the organisation I
work for is trying to gain RTO (registered training organisation)
status, as a requirement for that we need a proper and reliable data
backup and recovery system which we currently do not have.  Copying data
over the network to another machine doesn't qualify as "proper and
reliable" - as thats currently what we have as a backup system currently.

Also, the boss wants something he can remove and take home in a box with
him.

>The machine has 6 hot-swap (SCA) drive bays as standard, and you can
>squeeze another 3 into two of the 5.25" bays at the top.

The two 5.25" bays up the top will be taken up by an SDLT 320 tape drive :)

>Seagate are an option. Their 15 krpm U320 drives are pretty good,
>but time will tell how they stand up.

Seagate is what I was tending towards, either the 10K or the 15K.  There
is a fair price difference though between the 10K and 15K, especially
when its 6 drives (1x system drive, 4x RAID and 1x spare).

/ Ben