[plug] Mplayer runs wild

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 24 19:51:20 WST 2003

That doesn't sound right, my SB Live! works fine, pre-amp wise, mind you, it
is an older model.... You mentioned DVDs though, is this purely being used
for DVD playback? If so, DVDs are generally mastered between -10 and -20 dB,
if you're playing DVDs, then they will naturally be VERY quiet.

DVD playback programs usually boost the audio volume too, whicever OS, I
suggest trying winamp whilst something like PowerDVD is running, winamp will
suddenly be as loud as all buggery! Under MPlayer (this is from memory,
soryr if it's wrong, try the docs if it doesn't work), try -af volume=10:1
before playing it, that should help out a lot.

Basically, if you're playing a standard 0 dB mastered mp3 and your Speakers
need to be turned up full, YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG. ;) Check some of
your advanced mixer settings if you're playing around with ALSA, etc.

Make lunch, not war.