[plug] Telstra finally seems to have "got it"!

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Apr 25 08:55:38 WST 2003

http://www.computerworld.com.au/nindex.php?taxid=2136212573&id=1921493833

    Telstra solves identity crisis with penguin power

    Australia's largest telco Telstra has lifted the cone of silence
    on the deployment of Linux over its desktop population in a
    trailblazing speech by its national manager for security
    architecture Michael Warner to an identity and access management
    conference in Sydney.

    [...]

    "Moving to a Microsoft-dominated environment [resolved] a lot of
    sign-on problems, but it does put a lot of dependency on the one
    vendor and the one platform. It all [raises questions] about all
    the noises around Sun ONE and Linux desktops for Telstra staff,"
    Warner said.

    [bottom line, I guess is that Telstra, well known for playing
    monopoly games itself, isn't prepared to sit still and have
    those games played on it]

    "There are well over one thousand different internal mid-range
    applications that various staff, and departments access. And a
    plethora of underlying systems and platforms . . . mid-range
    systems to mainframes to windows boxes . . . Then there are
    different organisational groups responsible for maintaining
    those, [which] provides another angle on all of that…and then
    [there is] the integration of all of that."

    [how you say, management nightmare?]

    "Finally, getting away from the proprietary Microsoft-based
    systems and looking at how we can provide Web-based single
    sign-on that's much more technology neutral."

Interestingly enough, the only mention of "linux" or "penguin" was in
the headline. I guess we've become a crowd-puller?

Cheers; Leon