[plug] Perl programming using HTML::Parser

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Mon Apr 28 16:27:39 WST 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 15:49, Simon Newton wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 15:38, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> > As a Perl hater, I can tell you that it's because Perl's == operator is
> > cheerfully attempting to parse both $tagname and "html" as integers,
> > failing miserably without bothering to tell you, and assuming in its
> > infinite wisdom that these strings are equal to zero.
>
> Only because there is no "use strict". Its not telling you because you
> haven't asked it to :)

You did mean "use diagnostics" or "-w" right?  Use strict doesn't care
about such things.

The warning you are talking about is:

    Argument "blahblah" isn't numeric in numeric eq (==)
    at blah.pl line 20 (#1)

And in diagnostic form:

    (W numeric) The indicated string was fed as an argument
    to an operator that expected a numeric value instead.
    If you're fortunate the message will identify which
    operator was so unfortunate.

Some of the diagnostic message are worth reading if only for a laugh :)

Ryan