[[plug] Perl programming using HTML::Parser]

Mike Roberts mike at mikeroberts.org
Mon Apr 28 21:02:10 WST 2003

On Monday 28 April 2003 6:47 pm, Jan Hurst wrote:
> > http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/units/b336/
> > Doesn't seem to have too much Perl ; so the standard method of learning
> > somethin' in Computin' is called for : lots of time and O'Reilly books (
> > and stealing ideas off the Net)
>
> half the course is in perl, the other half using perl to spit out XML...
> i'd call that a fair bit of perl?
>
> -jan

Speaking as one of the people who teaches the unit...

The B336 coursework assumes some prior knowledge of perl, though we do try to
cater to those who have not done it before. The unit B211 (Internet
Computing) tries to provide a introduction to perl, but both units are
centred more around internet technologies, and simply use perl as a tool to
teach the ideas.

Once a person is familiar with programming techniques, learning a new language
should not really be that bigger issue. Unless you are moving from one
programming paradigm to another (e.g OO to functional). So I think the
suggestion about O'Reilly books is a good one.

My $0.02