[plug] CVS timezones

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 29 15:41:21 WST 2003

In message <1051600479.10905.32.camel at gilgal.oddsocks.net>
on Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 03:14:39PM +0800, Michael Hunt wrote:
> the human readable timezone format (don't know what it is
> officially called) is the better one to use.

Well, I'd tend to disagree in general (don't know about Linux config,
though!). I don't think it's very helpful when people go around writing
"ring me at 8pm MST", because it really isn't a very communicative way
of expressing time. ("MST? What's that?" "Mountain Standard Time" "Huh?"
"In Pheonix" "Huh?" "An hour ahead of PST" "What's that?" "Huh?") Also,
what would Queensland use? What about the Northern Territory? ACT? It
would be better to use location-based zones for setup and configuration
(e.g. Australian/Brisbane, Australian/Darwin, etc. -- both more
expressive and more accurate) or use offsets in conversation (e.g. UTC+8
-- no ambiguity there!). But you're talking about configuring Linux, so
I should shut up.