[plug] recording audio

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Wed Apr 30 10:25:16 WST 2003

> I'm trying to record audio using audacity. It works, but only in mono. The config tab with the "record in stereo" radio button wants the device name for the audio playback device..
>
> I've tried /dev/dsp /dev/dsp0 /dev/dsp1 /dev/dsp2 /dev/dsp3 , after making the chmod 777 on each.
>
> I have realaudio, xmms and aumix all working fine. They just used the "default sound".
>
> How do I sus what the device name is for the sound playback device? With lspci and lsmod i can see the SBLive! driver  being used, but not a /dev/* device name.

I don't know how you check what the device name is if it isn't /dev/dsp, but have you given
sound-recorder a try?

It is a command line recorder I use when triple j l at tw gets good (because I can 'at' it) :)  See if that suffers from
the same problems and it might help you pin-point what is going on?

Ryan