[plug] Problem with Toshiba 420CDT laptop debian install

Gavin Rogers grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au
Fri Aug 1 17:42:57 WST 2003

At 08:43 AM 1/08/2003 +0800, you wrote:

>If you do get it going - let me know if the 'sb' sound driver works for
>you - i have a 440CDX here and the sound driver detects an sb - but makes
>a bitch about an ol d8bit channel and wont play any sound (DMA timeout)

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT here and it has a genuine (or 100%
compatible as the kernel calls it) SoundBlaster 16 card on the standard
port 220, IRQ 5 DMA 1 (no 16 bit DMA channel though)

I had Linux installed on a 440CDX (passive screen and USB ports vs active
on the 430CDT but no USB) ages ago and it's merely a SB emulator card - I
think it was a Windows sound system compatible <shudder> on a Yamaha chip.
Forgotten which, but definitely didn't work with the sb.o module, despite
the manual saying the onboard sound is "soundblaster compatible". The
laptop is dead now so I can't check.

I didn't install X on either laptop.

Gavin.

---
Amateur radio station VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/

Email : grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au
Packet: vk6hgr at vk6hgr.#per.#wa.aus.oc