[plug] Installfest

Kimberly Shelt kim at linmagau.org
Mon Aug 4 10:08:11 WST 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 09:57:08AM +0800, Trent Lloyd wrote:
> A distributed installfest - while a cool idea - i think itd be cooler to have it as one so everyoen can meet each other interact chat and get the most expertise on everythign in the one spot.

I like the the "distributed" idea.. however I can see a nightmare of
organisation.. Interestingly there are a number of "comments" in the
survey on the mag at the moment, that are basically saying the person
doesnt go to meetings because they live so far away from the cbd etc..

This led me to thinking, perhaps LUGS (maybe only the largish ones)
should think about taking a meeting on the road once in a while..

ie..a call through the lists of location and interest.. then some
poor sod co-ordinates

*A central point where the "rural folks" can all get to..

*Contacting any and all "community groups" or other comp groups in
and around the area..

*At least one machine and transport to get the machine, him/herself
and some others to the "meeting zone"..

*Lots of apps loaded up to show off etc..

It would take a lot of organisation..and would probably be best
run on a sunday, thus given people a chance to get there..
but it could be a great way for more folks to meet up, and
also gives those who attend a trip into the country :)

Call me an dreamer.. but wouldn't it be great ..
And what terrific publicity this would bring.. not only for the
clubs involved, but also Aust Linux community as a whole :)

Kim
--
DO the Survey.. 30 questions.. 15 minutes :)
http://www.linmagau.org