[plug] APT question

Stephen Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Tue Aug 5 12:40:10 WST 2003

Hi All

I'm becoming more attached to Debian and APT (Hi Harry) every day as
I use it, but I have been stumped by a small problem. I tried to
install a new version of shorewall, found it needed several other
packages I didn't want to play with at the moment, and decided to not
to go ahead. However, now every time I do any APT operations, it
complains about unmet dependencies:

min:~# apt-get check
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
  iptables: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.1-1) but 2.2.5-11.2 is installed
  shorewall: Depends: iproute but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

I've tried everything I can think of - how do I undo the failed
installs and get rid of these messages?

Thanks
Steve