[plug] Thin client fun.

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Aug 5 14:21:49 WST 2003

> Does anyone know if work has been done on delivering X over the
> citrix-like protocols that the NT termserver stuff uses.

I'm not aware of any X11->ICA or X11-RDP servers, no. XVnc does that
sort of thing with RFB, but nothing else. Of course, XVnc has a simple
remote framebuffer, where RDP and ICA both use much more complex
protocols, but it /might/ be possible to use a concept similar to XVnc
to serve RDP or ICA. How tightly bound to the Win32/GDI stuff are those two?

From:
http://www.ltsp.org/contrib/ica/ica-howto.html

(Side note: A now-defunct Citrix Metaframe companion product called UNIX
Integration Services can be used as an X11-ICA and NAS-ICA bridge. Using
this product, you can query your Metaframe server using the X11/XDMCP
protocol and get full sound support via the LTSP sound server with
absolutely no modification to standard LTSP whatsoever!)

So somebody has done it in the other direction.

I do remember something about a company working with XFree86 that'd made
a closed-source version that supported other protocols, maybe RDP or ICA
was one of them. Sorry, I can't remember the name - think it began with N.

> I'd reeealy like to one-a-these-days find a way of getting groupware onto
> mac os9 boxes without invoking the dreaded exchange or retarded web
> interfaces, and thin client + evolution MIGHT be the ticket.

Reformat with MacOS X? Nah, I'm just joking. I'm also stuck with OS9
machines (Quark 4, etc).

I don't see much hope, personally.