[plug] printer still not working

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Aug 5 22:21:42 WST 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:30, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 08:29:46PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
>| CUPS claims to drive parallel, serial, USB, FireWire, LPD, IPP,
>| FTP, socket (JetDirect) and probably, with an appropriate driver,
>| GDI printers (but I've never seen that done, or even read about
>| it).

> It works with the Minolta "magicolour" colour laser printers which
> are, according to Minolta at any rate, Windows-only; it uses the
> foo2zjs backend.  I'm unsure as to the exact definition of a GDI
> printer or whether or not said printer fits it though.

Basically, the rendering gets done by the PC and shoved down the
printer's throat as a huge bitmap. The printer has hardly any brains
and negligible storage. I don't know of an official definition,
although many people I know have highly-appropriate one-word
definitions like "braindead", which they also use for WinModems.

Cheers; Leon