[plug] swap query

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Thu Aug 7 10:09:38 WST 2003

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, quoth russ powers:

> That sounds like a good idea, will it work? Can you put it into fstab?

Of course - providing you close any program that is accessing anything
under /home/ before you remove it (it won't let you unmount it otherwise)

You can probably even use "hotswap" or similar to have the system mount
automatically when you plug it in.  You'd still have to unmount it
manually before unplugging though, or the filesystem will end up in a bad
(unknown) state.

> You
> could do it individually and carry around /home/my_username. Could you then
> plug it into any linux box and boot or mount it and log in as my_username?

Provided the "my_username" exists on that Linux box, then sure, you can
mount the USB stick onto /home/my_username and "boot" into your
configuration. Roaming profiles via SneakerNet *grin*

However, be aware that unless both (all) machines have the same version of
your web browser, window manager etc, you may end up having problems with
their config files, because you'll have one machine "upgrade" the config
file and then the other machine getting confused over any new config
options that were introduced etc.

I'd suggest creating a /home/my_username/data (or whatever) and just
putting your documents etc there.

 - Matt