[plug] [OT-ish?] Need help diagnosing unstable computer

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Aug 7 20:05:53 WST 2003

In message <20030807114232.GA603 at erdos.home>
on Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 07:42:32PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> I'm reasonably sure that this is a hardware issue - the machine didn't
> respond to Ctrl-Alt-{Backspace,Delete} or SysRq-B, and the keyboard
> lights weren't doing the kernel panic thing.  The crashes seem to be
> occurring more-or-less randomly.

I don't suppose any useful log messages managed to make their way to the
disk before the hangs?

By the way, with regards to keyboard lights -- I have my BSD kernels
(I've never done any Linux kernel hacking) manipulate front-panel LEDs
when the kernel is *happy* (rather than when it's *sad*). I don't know
if any such thing could be useful for you -- it's just a random thought.