[plug] [slightly OT] sysadmin account creation in IRIX - how??

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Aug 7 22:52:20 WST 2003

Dear PLUG,

In Linux I know how to create a system admin user account with the switch
in adduser.   But IRIX has me tossed.   Googling has not (yet?) helped -
heaps of info on ordinary account creation.   Tried setting the group to
"0" for the respective user in the passwd file - no joy.   The GUI system
manager seems only to be able to create vanilla user accounts.   Creating
accounts "manually" via an ssh login is a royal pain.   Any thoughts -
maybe (undocumented) switches on the adduseraccount command?

My situation is probably not helped by the fact that (a) this is my first
IRIX exposure and (b) the OS is pretty stale - 6.5.5 versus 6.5.20 but
cannot yet upgrade to 6.5.20 for various reasons.   Am I alone in thinking
that IRIX is a particularly unfriendly form of Unix?

Cheers and TIA,
Denis