[plug] Intel Raid Controller SRCU42L

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Aug 8 10:22:47 WST 2003

>>Bury the paper that suggests you use an Intel RAID card.....
>>Save some medium/long term money and buy one of the DPT-based Adaptec
>>cards.

I tend to agree there. I've seen no indication that the Intel ones are
better, in fact I'd say they seem somewhat lesser than the Adaptec/DPT
cards. Adaptec make /excellent/ RAID hardware, and pretty cheap too
(compared to the drives - *urrggh*. There's a reason I went to SATA RAID).

> BUT do you know if it will work in Linux?

Hmm... from Documentation/Configure.help on 2.4.20:

CONFIG_SCSI_GDTH
   Formerly called GDT SCSI Disk Array Controller Support.

   This is a driver for RAID/SCSI Disk Array Controllers (EISA/ISA/PCI)
   manufactured by Intel/ICP vortex (an Intel Company). It is documented
   in the kernel source in <file:drivers/scsi/gdth.c> and
   <file:drivers/scsi/gdth.h.>

   If you want to compile the driver as a module ( = code which can be
   inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want),
   say M here and read <file:Documentation/modules.txt>.  The module
   will be called gdth.o.

That was all I could see in the SCSI low-level drivers with "Intel" on
it, and it doesn't look like what you've got. Hard to say for sure w/o
dropping it into a machine and finding out what the chipset really is.