[plug] frustrated.....plzz help !

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Aug 10 16:33:49 WST 2003

> I got 'original' Redhat 8.0 CDs and tried to install it on my pretty old
> machine (P-II 350, 64 RAM..). But after the 'Media Check' it always
> shows 'FAIL'.
> Someone told me the problem is either with the CDs or my CD-ROM drive
> (Asus 50X). Then i went to my cousins house and checked on his PC with
> Asus 52X drive.
> The media check showed success. I brought that NEW CD-drive along with
> me and tried again on my PC. guess what.....FAIL !

Interesting. Perhaps your motherboard's ATA controller is going dodgy?
I've seen it happen unfortunately. Oh, more likely - did you try
swapping ATA cables? Perhaps it's the cable that's the problem.

Another possibility is that both your old and new CD-ROMs are cheap and
crappy, where if your friend got a good one it might be better at
handling CDs that are little dodgy.  I'm not familiar with Asus CD-ROMs
(hell, I haven't used anything that wasn't a CD-writer or DVD-ROM in
quite some time) so I don't know what they're like.

That error - is it always the same package that's causing a problem? If
so, it's quite likely that there some blemish on the disk that your dive
isn't dealing with for some reason. Try cleaning it with a lint-free
cloth and a tiny bit of detergent to remove fingerprints etc.

Craig Ringer